Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pencil blending tutorial

It has been a long time since my last post. Maybe a week is not a long time but it looks like it.  I haven't been on vacation, it was just one thing after another and I couldn't sit to write in the computer.

I promised that I was going to post a tutorial about blending with color pencils, and here it is. This is my way of doing it. I didn't take any class and I am sure that it can be done better and probably easier.  But I think it is a good way to show you how I color my images and how many steps I have to take until I think the coloring is finished. 


I keep my stumps in a little box. I have several sizes and for several colors. I keep my turpenoid in a little box with a sponge (I have the big bottle but I only need a few drops). The box with the turpenoid has a T on it. The another little box is full of baby oil. For blending too, but I only use turpenoid lately. I have an eraser and some sandpaper to rub my stumps. 







I am going to show you how I colored the bee that it was shown of my card of last week. It is the same bee that went to the card. It is printed in 110lb white cardstock with black ink from a laser printer. I cut it around before coloring for the tutorial. I usually do it after coloring it, very carefully not to smear the colors while I am cutting. 





I decided to start coloring the body. I started with the lighter color I am going to use. I don't color all the image I am going to use. I just color the edge, wider in the head, and marking very much the color. I am going to blend it later so I need to be sure that I am going to have enough color to pass it to the white zones. 




When I am done, I wet the clean stump in turpenoid. You would be able see in the stump when it is wet enough. I don't need too much quantity and it last a long time. Then, making circular movements from the outside to the inside of the image, I transfer some of the color to the white areas. You can see the result in the second photo. 








I wanted to add some shadows and extra colors. I used a light orange and I added it in the same manner as the yellow color to the bee, and with the same stump I blend the orange with the yellow. I don't need to clean the stump since I am mixing the colors and I am going from lighter to darker. I don't need to soak it again in turpenoid either. If the image had been bigger I should probably have done that. 








The image is a little bit darker. I wanted it a little more orange, so I added a bright orange and I use the same circular technique as before to blend the colors together. As you can see, the line of color I make is narrower than the previous one. I don't what to color on top of the ones I already color, I just want to mix the colors and add a little bit of shadow.








Coloring the black spots is the easiest part. I used a new stump, but if you don't have enough to spare, you just can clean the one you used before. I like to have several of different width, so I can use the smallest for the smallest places. 





The wings were colored with blue. Same technique. The lighter color first and using the wider space.





I forgot to take the photo in the middle. Sorry about that. I used a darker blue to trace a line on the wings. Then I blended it with the turpenoid in circular movements. 





And this is the final result. It could have been done better, I could have chosen different colors, but I did it this way. I hope you like it. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...